Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Missing Pieces: Textile Tease

I grew up with most our cabinets filled with different fabrics, my mother runs a small business of making bed sheets and curtains for her friends at work. Every Saturday, she would head to Divisoria and buy her supplies. Which is how I also came to appreciate and aspire of creating my own items with sewing. I have yet to learn and buy my own machine, but I already have a list of the projects that I want to work on. 

In 2012, I went to Japan for an art residency,andmy roomate Elia who is from Indonesia was the queen of fabrics, don't get me wrong, I also love them but her passion was immense. So I quickly brought her to Yuzawaya in the city to check out my craft store find and we were instantly best friends. 

Elia's work really revolved around fabrics and stiching a story, so she'd go on trips  exploring the city to find her supplies and it lead her to the biggest fabric disctrict in Japan called Nipori, she went there for a couple of times and brought me with her when my schedule freed up. It is very similar to Divisoria where fabric shops are just beside each other, the difference though (aside from the botique like stores and wider walk ares) is that their biggest shop called Tomato was really pure heaven. Ifloors and floors of fabrics, most of them designed and produced in Japan which made the fabrics really unique.

Inspired by what I saw, I started to look at the fabrics and thought of projects to work on with it. I bought small scraps that I want to turn into coin purses and card holders. I recently found all these fabrics again and sharing with youn the pretty prints and patterns from my collection.

Skulls, owls and science, It was love at first sight.
I liked the simplicity and character of this rocket pattern,
Which also goes the same for this mushroom prints.
The brick wall reminded me of my friends who do graffitti. And planning to sew something with the likes of graffitti also.
A dose of salt water.
Blazing colors against a black background.
Weaved simplicity.
Another brickwall version.
A toast with the beers of the world.
And kampai from us too! 







No comments :

Post a Comment