Thursday, January 31, 2019

The Planetarium

My son is a big fan of the Solar System. He knows all the planets, their moons and the big stars of the universe. We have books, maps and even blankets of planets (we love to indulge in his geekiness).

So when the Planetarium opened a new exhibit recently, all my friends who knew my son immediately tagged me on facebook. I knew we should pay a visit.

A few blocks from Rizal Park (I still like calling it Luneta), we walked to The Planetarium. You can also take the jeep to Mabini and get down exactly right in front of this building.

Entrance is FREE where you can view the exhibits. You just have to register and leave your bags at their counter. You can only bring your wallet and phone at the exhibit area. 

I liked that the exhibition showed our ancestor's relationship with the universe. There's a story of how the stars were being used by our elders to time the planting their crops and more. There was also a portion on the different beliefs of each region (Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao) on how the Universe was born. 



 
My son immediately ran into this portion of the exhibit where all the big planets are, this is my favorite spot too.

You will only pay a fee when you'll watch the Planetarium Show. P30 for Students and Children, P40 for Senior Citizen and PWD and P50 for adults. The Full-Dome shows are Hayabusa, A Planet for Goldilocks and a Journey to a Billion Suns. They will also ask you to surrender your phone when you'll watch the show as photo taking is not allowed inside the tehater. 

We saw the show A Journey to a Billion Suns, which I think my son liked (there's very minimal showing of planets) but there was a lot of conversation I'm sure he did not understand (there were moments that I also didn't, it was very technical). It was about the supernovas and a quest to seek the distance of the stars. It was fascinating that my planet geek son who is also into stars saw giant stars like Rigel and Arcturus in the show.  A friend said that A Planet for Goldilocks might be more for kids. But never the less, it was a visual spectacle watching in that dome. 

They are closed on Monday and is open from Tuesday-Sunday (8:30 AM-4:30 PM). The first show starts around 10:00am.







No comments :

Post a Comment